Tuesday, February 17, 2009


Mary Melissa.....about 5 hours old.

Tomorrow our little Mary, who is not so little, will be turning 11. I remember when Keith and I would say to one another, "I can't believe she'll be three, five, nine and now eleven. She has surpassed any expectations that we could have dreamt up ourselves. Being the oldest of four, she is mature beyond her age. She has a grace and poise about her that surprises most she meets and it takes them by surprise to learn that she is only 10...well 11 tomorrow.

In the days following our discovery of Mary's impending arrival, we were terrified. We, two bumbling 22 year olds, were going to be responsible for one little life. I'll never forget the day we found out we were expecting a girl. As we drove past the pacific ocean in Monterey, California, we found ourselves almost giddy with the news. I couldn't wait to go and buy the first pink something that would go in her room. We picked up my mom on Valentines Day in San Fransisco, California and four days later we headed to the hospital at midnight. I remember being so calm and collected on the outside, but truly scared on the inside. And then she was here. A sweet, blonde-headed little girl. The feelings a woman feels when they first hold their baby is an amazing one. We didn't film Mary's birth...I didn't need to. I can remember everything. Fast forward to today with three additions to the family, 4 moves and a different country later, she's flourishing as a young lady.


Mary embraces the new experiences that she has had here in a different country while always appreciating our family in America. She thinks about them and asks often...when can they come see us or when can we go home. Words can not describe the pride that Keith and I both feel when we think of our Mary. She's the push that we needed at such a young age when we were unsure which direction to take a step. She's brought unimaginable joy to our lives. We wonder where has the time gone and remind ourselves often that this time we have with her is fleeting.
We can't wait to see what the next couple of years hold for Mary. We know she'll meet what ever comes her way in a way only she can.

Mary Summer 2008 at Gulf Shores

The following is one of those questionnaires from Facebook or MySpace. It's all about your first born and how much you remember so I thought I'd post it here.

All About Mary.

1. WAS YOUR FIRST PREGNANCY PLANNED? Not at all. Keith and I got married when we were 21 after dating for 4years. The plan was to have our first at 27. Little did we know an angel was headed our way.

2. WHAT WERE YOUR REACTIONS? Let's see...I think I ran the whole gamet of emotions. I was shocked, excited, scared, bewildered and just plain stunned. After it sank in..I was elated.

3. HOW OLD WERE YOU? We were 22 when we got pregnant and Mary arrived 2 months after I turned 23.

4. HOW DID YOU FIND OUT YOU WERE PREGNANT? Well my mom asked me when I complained of some soreness...(you ladies know where). It didn't even dawn on me that I'd missed until I looked at a calendar.

5. WHO DID YOU TELL FIRST? Keith. I drove to the hospital where he was working as an OR tech and handed him the test on his lunch break. The look on his face was priceless. He'll admittingly tell you today he was scared.

6. DID YOU WANT TO FIND OUT THE SEX? We found out the first chance we got.

7. DUE DATE? February 20th

8. DID YOU HAVE MORNING SICKNESS? Yes

9. WHAT DID YOU CRAVE? Not anything out of the ordinary

10. WHO/WHAT IRRITATED YOU THE MOST? Well Keith could get on my last nerve.

11. WHAT WAS YOUR FIRST CHILD'S SEX? a girl

12. DID YOU WISH YOU HAD THE OPPOSITE SEX OF WHAT YOU WERE GETTING? We had talked about how we hoped our first was a boy, but what did we know. As soon as they said it was a girl we just melted.

13. HOW MANY POUNDS DID YOU GAIN THROUGHOUT THE PREGNANCY? I think about 40

14. DID YOU HAVE A BABY SHOWER? Yes. We had just moved to Monterey, CA. When we went home for Christmas my maid of honor Susan gave me a sweet baby shower.

15. WAS IT A SURPRISE OR DID YOU KNOW? I knew.

16. DID YOU HAVE ANY COMPLICATIONS DURING YOUR PREGNANCY? None, I think I might have been anemic

17. WHERE DID YOU GIVE BIRTH? California

18. HOW MANY HOURS WERE YOU IN LABOR? We went in at midnight. I think Mary arrived around 6:00 pm.

19. WHO DROVE YOU TO THE HOSPITAL? Keith and my Mom.

20. WHO WATCHED YOU GIVE BIRTH? Keith, my mom, Celia (our nurse) and Lydia (our other nurse).

21. WAS IT NATURAL OR C-SECTION? Natural

22. DID YOU TAKE MEDICINE TO EASE THE PAIN? Epidural, but only after some wise nurses talked me into getting one.

23. HOW MUCH DID YOUR CHILD WEIGH? 7 lbs. 12 oz.

24. WHEN WAS YOUR CHILD ACTUALLY BORN ? February 18th 1998

25. WHAT DID YOU NAME HIM/HER? Mary Melissa Smith....when we told the nurses her name they stopped and asked us did we say Mary. When we said yes they said....we haven't had a Mary here for a long time what a beautiful name. Mary was born with a head full of blonde hair. All of the other nurses on duty kept coming in to see the new little blonde in the maternity ward. She was beautiful and really she is what started us on the path that we are on today. Thank you Mary.

1 comment: