Tuesday, January 20, 2009

So our Brandon is turning 6

Brandon Paul Smith-January 2003
It's January 20th, 2009. I'm new tothe blog thing so we'll see how this goes.


Have you ever heard the words, " I remember the day you were born". Well in my experience and the day Brandon Paul Smith was born those words couldn't ring more true.

I was a heavy 190 and a couple days over due. Keith and I cautiously drove to the hospital hoping that this was the day....we'd been sent home before. When we arrived I remember a family who delivered in the triage room because she had waited so long to come.....she'd been sent home before too I bet. So it was quick. I was definitely in labor, they took me to a room and we began the loooooong wait for this little one. I was asked if I wanted an epidural and you know what my reply was...load it up. I didn't even feel many contractions in the beginning and then, ah yes and then. Little Brandon, all 9 lbs. 5 oz. of him became stuck. So we sit and wait at 9 centimeters and the last one never comes. So I'm looking down the tunnel of a c-section when a doctor arrives and says, "Mrs. Smith, you don't know me, but I know you. I've been monitoring you all night (yes they left me in that state for 9 hours over night). He worked a little magic and bam 10 centimeters. We pushed for what seemed an eternity, this baby was big.


I almost missed the moment he arrived. My epidural had worn off and I was in the worst pain ever. But there he was with the pediatric doctor standing over him. He never wailed or screamed he simply wimpered a little, something that scared me. He was perfect. He had a head full of black hair, so much that it met his eyebrows at his temples. He started nursing right away and Mom and I noticed he had his Daddy's dimples. Ten fingers, ten toes and he was ours. I think maybe since this was my third I took ths event as just another at the time. Now thinking back to it, I am in awe of all the wonderful things that happened that day.


Keith stayed with me that night while May watched Mary and Jaeden. I stared at him for what seemed like an eternity. God had blessed us with another son and a lifelong buddy for Jaeden.



So here we are 6 years later. We moved to Hungary a month before he turned three and now he's six. He looks at the world with the wonder of a child and when you look at him you can see his wheels are turning about something. He's our Brandon. I'm grateful that I've been blessed with four children. I'm anxious to see what the next year has in store for him.


1 comment:

  1. We love that sweet Brandon of yours and love the name too. That was my favorite name, but I happened to marry one and he doesn't want a junior. Darn. :) Love the Blog!!

    ReplyDelete